This job is closed and is displayed for reference only.
Salary: £49,788 - £52,737 per annum
Location:Gloucester - GL1
Closing date:12 March 2021 at midnight
About Gloucester City Council
Gloucester City Council is a dynamic local authority providing essential services to the people of Gloucester. They have a strong vision for the city to be a place where everyone feels proud to live and no one gets left behind. To make a difference to their communities, they are looking for people who share their commitment.
Gloucester is the cathedral city of the Cotswolds in the south west of England. Each year, over 3.5 million people from home and abroad visit the city for leisure and business. Gloucester continues to grow into a vibrant and unique place to live and work – a city that’s undergoing a cultural and physical regeneration while retaining its distinctive heritage. They are located right in the heart of this, next to beautiful historical buildings like Gloucester Cathedral nd a mix of high street shops and independent boutiques. The role will be based in our Civic Suite in the historic docks now regenerated as a leisure area, the Quays have a popular outlet shopping centre, cinema, a wide range of restaurants, and a great night life. It also hosts a number of events like the Victorian Christmas Market and the monthly Food and Craft Market. In the city, you’ll also be at the heart of Premiership Rugby, as the Kingsholm Stadium – home of Gloucester Rugby ‘the Cherry and Whites’. If your taste for adventure is a little more obscure, you’re also in the home of cheese rolling and surfing the second biggest tidal range in the world – The Severn Bore!
It’s an exciting time to join the council, they are transforming the city through regeneration, cultural change and investing in their heritage. The city council and its partners Gloucester Culture Trust are in the process of delivering an ambitious Cultural Strategy that places culture at the heart of the city for the good of all – making Gloucester a dynamic and creative place with big ambitions to develop its cultural scene. Gloucester truly is a great place to live, work, study or visit with great facilities, there is no better time to consider a career with Gloucester City Council given this level of ambition.
Your new role
As an Investment Manager, you will take a proprietorial role with respect to the Council’s property investments. You will act as the intelligent client working with external property managers and transaction surveyors that deal with day to day management of the properties. You will ensure the investment portfolio is performing well and producing anticipated growth and return.
As an Investment manager you will review the Council’s property investment strategy ensuring it’s up to date and reflective of market investment trends. This is an exciting position to play an important part of shaping the City Council’s investment and you where necessary will agree changes to the portfolio with the Investment Board and deal with acquisitions and disposals with the strategy. You will also work with the Property Commissioning Manager looking at the wider Council portfolio and advice on performance, return and assist with the annual valuations.
- Manage the contracts with external suppliers acting as the Councils intelligent client and point for instruction on the operation of the investment portfolio.
- Dealing with the renewal of contracts where required.
- Work with external specialist suppliers dealing with LL&T transactions interrogating their recommendations to either challenge or agree, you will deal with any internal authority and consent required for the transactions. Work with external and internal partners to ensure the smooth running of the investments including when required dealing with internal and external solicitors.
- Monitor the day to day decisions to ensure that they are consistent with the investment strategy and that the overall returns are being achieved.
- Work with the Head of Regeneration to ensure that the investments also fit with the City Council’s Regeneration Strategy; advise and work with external partners and consultants to ensure that regeneration schemes are commercially viable.
- Contribute to the development process working with our Major Projects Surveyor.
- Advise and work with the Investment Board to ensure the Council’s Investment Strategy remains sound.
- Attend Cabinet briefing and other member meetings, site and public consultation meetings and develop formal reports to support such attendance.
- Maintain and develop constructive relationships as part of a collaborative working environment.
- Engage with stakeholders (internal and external) through effective communication to ensure good performance and continuing service improvement.
- Consider the financial implications of any activities affecting the use of council funds, seeking best value for money and identifying or recommending more cost-effective options.
- Work in a flexible and adaptable way with a ‘can-do’ attitude that gets things done right the first time
- Monitor the service charges approving budgets and tracking performance.
- Actively look for opportunities to improve performance and potential for redevelopment to maximise the return/capital value. Deal with investment acquisitions and disposals as required to fit in with the strategy.
- Brief and report to the Council and the Investment board.
- Work with the Property Commissioning manager to ensure that the investment portfolio is reflected on the annual accounts at their fair value.
To be successful within this Investment Manager position you must hold a broad range of Property Investment experience and have a solid knowledge of property and property investment. A good understanding of landlord and tenant law and commercial property transaction matters will lead to your success.
It is also essential you have working knowledge in property investment appraisal and commercial property valuation experience. Further skills essential to the role you must hold include a sound and broad-based property and construction knowledge, knowledge of statutory and technical procedures relating to commercial property management and extensive LL&T knowledge sufficient to be able to interrogate and challenge other property specialists.
Professional qualification appropriate to the remit of the role or equivalent in experience is essential, as well as being MRICs or equivalent, and a registered valuer with the RICS or willing to work towards registration would be desirable.
What you will get in return:
This is a unique and highly rewarding opportunity. You can expect to achieve a salary of £49,788 - £52,737 per annum per annum, coupled with a generous leave entitlement of 30 days, one of the largest pension in public sector in the UK, along with life cover of three times your salary with financial protection for your family, and other competitive benefits.
The position will be based in high-quality, recently refurbished city centre office at Shire Hall in the heart of Gloucester City Centre within walking distance of most of our properties.
To review the full job description, please refer to the key documents section on the dedicated recruitment Microsite as listed in the URL below.
HOW TO APPLY:
For more information, please visit the dedicated recruitment microsite URL link:
To submit your interest, please click apply now on the opportunities section. The application process will require you to upload a copy of your CV, along with a covering letter which explains why you are attracted to this post and why you believe you are the person for us. Please limit your covering letter to no more than 1 page.
- Closing date for applications – Friday 12th March 2021- Midday
- First stage interviews – Week beginning 15th March 2021
- Final stage interviews – Week beginning 22nd March 2021
*these dates may be subject to change