Lead Officer for Legal Intervention in Education (Attendance)
Salary:£29,636.00 - £32,878.00
Employment Type:Fixed Term
Location:Shire Hall, Westgate Street, Gloucester - GL1 2TP
Closing date:31 May 2020 at midnight
An opportunity has arisen for a full time Lead Officer for Legal Intervention in Education (attendance) within the Education Inclusion Specialist Support Service (1 year fixed term contract). The primary focus for this role is to oversee and provide supervision around the legal intervention work undertaken within the Education Inclusion Specialist Support Service in enabling the team to work with families, schools and other partner organisations to ensure that children are able to access an education which is appropriate to their needs.
The role of Lead Officer for Legal Intervention in Education (attendance) includes:
- Triaging and distributing to officers cases submitted to GCC for attendance related legal interventions, including penalty notices and prosecutions or, where appropriate, discussing and agreeing with Locality Lead with oversight for attendance other appropriate interventions.
- Providing regular, high quality and consistent supervision and case management of legal attendance (prosecution) cases, ensuring that the PACE procedures are followed and that team members progress their cases in accordance with national and locally agreed timescales and protocols.
- Undertaking the role of the disclosure officer on behalf of the investigating officers as part of prosecution over non school attendance.
- Liaising with legal advisors where advice is required, being the single point of liaison with legal team; assisting the Locality Lead with oversight for attendance in agreeing and reviewing protocols and ways of working with that team in relation to legal intervention around school attendance.
- Taking responsibility for recording and signing off disposal decisions on whether to proceed with prosecution, seeking and taking into account legal advice where required and act as one of the designated officers authorised to deliver simple cautions in the office and in family homes
- Supervising and delivering training and induction of new members of the team
- Supporting officers to provide timely information, advice and guidance to families and other agencies to help them access the support they need to get the best outcomes for children and young people
- Undertaking specific tasks relating to school attendance including conducting formal Interviews Under Caution under Police and Criminal Evidence procedure conditions; co-ordinating and attending court proceedings as necessary.
- Assisting the Locality Lead with oversight for attendance in ensuring clear and up to date policies, guidance and practice are available for parents and professionals on attendance and how the graduated pathway can be used to support children with low attendance; championing children’s rights to appropriate education.
- Providing appropriate guidance and challenge to school leaders and governors to ensure that statutory responsibilities are met.
- As required, or as requested by the Locality Lead with oversight for attendance, being responsible for drawing up, consulting on, reviewing and ensuring the consistent implementation of the GCC policy and guidance available to schools around legal intervention over school attendance, including the Penalty Notice Code of Conduct, ensuring these are in line with DfE guidance.
Please refer to the job profile for further details about the role.
Please note that this post is subject to enhanced DBS clearance.
For an informal discussion about the role, please email Andrea Jordan, Locality Lead with oversight of attendance, in the first instance with a contact telephone number; Andrea will then be able to ring interested candidates back.
We value diversity in our workforce and positively welcome applications from all sections of the community.
It is a legal requirement, under the Immigration Act 2016, that anyone appointed to a ‘customer facing role’ must be able to demonstrate an ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence in fluent English.
Only if you have difficulty accessing the information published online should you contact GCC Appointments & People Sourcing Team by telephone 01452-425888 or e-mail to ContactUs@gloucestershire.gov.uk quoting the vacancy reference number above.